One of the most important steps in creating a positive experience in buying real estate is finding a lender who is knowledgeable, dependable and can perform on time! In this area of expertise there are many options to choose from and your decision will affect your experience: good or bad!
What to look for in a lender:
- THE COMPANY: A BROKER doesnt fund the loans themselves but submits the loan to a mortgage banker. They have many options for lending sources which can create competition between the lenders. The competition between the lender helps to keep loan rates lower and the variety of loan programs greater. Brokers typically also have lower costs of operating which helps to keep loan rates lower. A MORGAGE BANKER (direct lender) funds the loan with their own funds then may sell the loans off to larger players in the industry. They also have many loan program options which can create flexibility. They have large offices, their own operations staff that processes the loan through closing. Large BANKS are also an option. I have had the unfortunate experience of understaffing causing delays and a lack of flexibilty in underwriting since they dont utilize other program options.
- I prefer a Mortgage Broker. They have loans available at lower rates and plenty of lenders wanting their business fighting for those loans!
- THE LOAN OFFICER: This person is key to your experience. They need to be knowledgeable. Navigating the rules of lending and the variety of lending programs available takes years to master and dedication to become a true expert. I recommend that you use a person with many years of experience. I equate the loan officer role to the job of an attorney. They need to be dedicated and an expert in their field if you want them to represent you.
- Shelly Jenkins began her career on the operations side of the business. For many years she underwrote loans. She has underwritten thousands of loans and has her VA and FHA underwriting designations. She also managed a retail and wholesale loan origination center. She is a true expert in the feild! Since 2009 she has been working directly with borrowers helping them acheive the dream of home ownership as a loan originator. She works at Vintage lending with the benefits of both a mortgage broker and the ability to close loans as a correspondent lender like a mortgage banker. She has the best of both worlds available to help borrowers obtain the loan that is best for them.
- To get pre-approved call Shelly Jenkins at Vintage Lending today!
- Over 20 years experience
- Experience as an underwriter for Conventional, FHA, VA and Jumbo loans.
- Dedicated to top level customer service
- Direct: 909-228-5519
- NMLS #282810 DRE #02076383
Disclosure: For transparency I also want to let you know that Shelly is also my wife. Besides being a great loan officer she is also a wonderful woman. You are NOT required to do business with her if I am your agent. I encourage you to talk to a few lenders but I am certain that none know their business like she does!